Monday, September 10, 2007

Misc. things

Some miscellaneous things.

I found out the Krispy Kreme in Shinjuku is currently the only on in Japan. It still had a long line today so I didn't stop by. A dozen original glazed is 1500 yen or just over $13.

I still have been getting pastries from the bakery in the station. I can't quite read the Japanese...and I accidentally got a 'curry' filled doughnut. Not *at all* what I was expecting.

I found a cheap Tempura shop in the basement of one of the department stores next to the hotel. I can get vegetable tempura, rice, and water for about $8. I'm just not a seafood person. I feel ashamed coming to Tokyo and not liking seafood or sushi. :) I did eat some sashimi (plain raw fish) the other evening...not too bad. I mainly don't like the seaweed in the sushi.

I bought this



the other evening. I can read the Japanese word for chocolate, which is what the center part is. I was thinking the bun part would be some sort of cookie, but the buns actually have a sesame seed taste which is really strong. :(

Here's my hotel room from the door looking to the window



and from the window looking back to the door



The weird thing is this. Almost all the 'business' hotels I've been in around Tokyo have a 'single piece' preconstructed bathroom. The tub, sink, toilet are all in a room that is one big piece of fiberglass. This hotel is no different.



But in every other hotel, this has been near the door. In this hotel, it is on the outside wall. Actually, the whole bathroom is about halfway sticking out of the hotel...the window actually is about halfway back from the end of the bathroom.



The tub is in the outmost part of the bathroom, so when I'm in the shower, my brain thinks I'm hanging out of the hotel and if a earthquake was to hit, I feel like the entire bathroom would break off and fall to the ground. :)

But on the bright side, the toilet has a bidet, seat warmer, and deodorizer built in. :) God bless the Japanese.

In Japan, a majority of weddings these days are "Christian" weddings. Parents pay ungodly amounts of money to have a wedding at a hotel, where the hotel has built special chapels just for weddings. They supposedly hire Christian ministers to do the service. There's a mission field for ya. Here's a wedding in progress at Odaiba when I was there a week or so ago.


When walking around not knowing where I was going one day, I walked by this sign. If you click on this picture and read the text (kind of difficult) you can read about of on the "new-religions" in Japan. There seem to be a lot of folks looking for a real religion or a real God.


I would post their website, but you have better things to do with your time. They are just *way* out there.

And here's the latest in exercise equipment. You ride it like a horse and it strengthens abs, thighs, buttocks, etc. I personally haven't seen these in the states...I'm not sure if they would sell well. Anyone want me to ship one back? :)



Actually, you can order one yourself! God bless the Internet.

--David

2 comments:

doug said...

Wow, the Japanese aren't big on space. Guess it has to do with living on a island.

mark said...

Ha! I took a nearly identical picture of my hotel bathroom when I went to Japan.