Sunday, September 2, 2007

Counsel

I went to Tokyo Horizon Chapel Setagaya campus on Sunday morning. The pastor is Jeremiah Boek. He has been going through Proverbs and the message was on Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.

The message is in English. A lot of the folks there know English as a second language. Jeremiah does a good job of speaking clearly, slowly, and repeating things in different words, different terms to help those who aren't as familiar with English.

He discussed wise counsel vs. foolish counsel. Wise counsel comes from God's word and through other Christians.

So, this scripture talks about plans (big plans evidently) and needing many advisers. I'm trying to think if I've ever asked for counsel from many advisers. I can't recall. I think we (I) need to discuss things more with others...God really can use others to speak to us and that builds bonds as believers. I know many of you have spoken wise words to me and helped me in different things. Let's try to spend more time seeking counsel with others and not just winging it. Sure, always be open to the Holy Spirit in you giving you the only counsel you need, but God wants us to work together as a body and we will often need to seek counsel from others...sometimes to bond, sometimes for humility, sometimes to bless the other person, etc.

Seek wise counsel.

--David

No comments: