Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Japan Harvest

Today was a day of rest. :) I only left the hotel for breakfast and lunch/dinner (I seem to eat a big meal mid day and a small bedtime snack.) The rest of the time I was reading books or things on the internet. I think I read for about 10 hours today. I read some in the bible, some things on the internet, some magazines called "Japan Harvest," etc.

It seems that, generally speaking, the Western missionaries here in Japan are banging their head against a wall because that can't get many people to come to Christ. There are cultural things that get in the way of Western church ideas, but as far as I can tell, the Holy Spirit is what draws folks to Christ and He's doing very little here. Why is that? From what I hear, the church in China is *huge*, the biggest church in the world is in Korea, they fill up stadiums with Christians in Africa, the church is growing rapidly in parts of India, etc. Why isn't the Spirit moving in Japan? Are there spritual strongholds that have to fall first? A wild idea I just had, could it be spirits displaced from other places are moving to Japan? (I guess they gotta go somewhere.)

Japan was *so* open in the 50's after the war. MacArthur put out a call for missionaries to come over ASAP...and many came. He called for as many bibles as could be printed...and they were delivered. And yet, never (from what I have read) was there a true 'revival' of large numbers of people as elsewhere. Yes, many Japanese people have been saved. Yes, God is working here. But there seems to be a big spiritual barrier here and no one seems to know what it is exactly...at least I don't know.

I've read articles about the best way to share the gospel, the best format of church ('standard' church, home church, cell church), best groups to 'target', etc. But the bottom line is not our methods, it is the Holy Spirit. Lots of people have ideas of how to do things better.

One writer wrote:

Are we reproducing followers of "Christian religion" -- in which people go through the motions and follow the rituals? Or are we reproducing believers who walk closely with the Master and become more and more excited about who He is, about the salvation He has brought, and about all that He is and gives? Believers like these will have lives that overflow, and I am convinced this is what we need in order to see a change in Japan.

--David

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

Man, that is the same thing that we are seeing here in Salisbury. Our church has just struggled and after 2 years we only have 1 convert - and that one not a disciple. I am convinced that the only way to break through is with consistent, fervent prayer and an utter reliance upon and obedient submission to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.