Saturday, August 25, 2007

Second Harvest

First, thanks to everyone who has posted comments and/or sent emails. I read them all, but haven't had time to respond. It is good to hear from everyone.

Now...to my day. I'm cutting and pasting from an email to my wife...we'll see how the formatting looks when I post it.

I got to SecondHarvest around 10am and worked until about 3pm...it is very hot and
humid and I was sweating about the whole time. I opened around 60 big cans of campbell's soup as
my first job. Next I did some cleaning/organizing of the pantry and spent some time taking
labels off donated water bottles (not sure why, but they remove the labels from things they give away).
Then I helped load a truck with supplies and we headed down to the river for food distribution.
Most folks gave out the soup and other food at Ueno park, while I went with one of the full time
guys (Yusuke) to hand out other foodstuffs to homeless down by the river near Asakusa. I helped
hand out the bread, the other guy organized the line of folks, and about 6 homeless guys helped
hand out the rest. Afterwards, we took the leftovers to Ueno park and then went back to the warehouse
where we started and did some cleaning and sorting the garbage for recycling.

One of the guys helping was an American who has lived here for over 10 years. His name is Huntley.
He's a Buddhist and quite a character. Another guy I met is a guy by the name of Conrad. He works in
Tokyo
but does evangelizing in his spare time. He has a heart for just preaching the gospel. He said I should hook up with some guys up in
Sendai (about 1.5 hours north of here via the shinkansen (bullet train). I called a guy and I'm
heading out bright and early in the morning. The guy's name is Nathan Broman and he is the son of
Paul Broman:
http://www.grapecity.com/About/ExecutiveManagement/MessageFromTheChairman.aspx
Paul came to Japan with no money and a desire to preach the gospel. I'll find out more about the
ministry tomorrow. Tomorrow's meeting is some sort of big meeting with folks from all over Asia
who are out preaching the gospel. It should be interesting. A one way ticket is about $95...and
he offered to pay half for me...which I thought was interesting.

And so, my adventure continues. Please keep me in your prayers...and especially pray for Kerri while she is at home.

1 comment:

doug said...

Tired of the smell of soup yet?

Let us know about that bullet train ride. Sounds like you are beginning an interesting adventure/search.