Friday, August 31, 2007

My Friday

I'm tired.

So, here's my day. Woke up, got ready, surfed for directions to a few places, headed out.

I ate breakfast at McDonalds (yeah...I know) and went looking for a coin laundry I saw on a map about a 15 minute walk from here. I found it and made a mental note of how to get there. From there, I went to Christian Academy in Japan and happened to meet the athletic director on the street who gave me a quick tour. The campus is nice. They have less than 500 students, but they have a large gym, 2 libraries, computer rooms, an auditorium, a huge playground, a cafeteria, wood shop, art class (with potter's wheel), band, choir, etc. All the classes are in English and around half the students are missionary kids.

After that, I headed over to St. Mary's Chathedral for a quick look. Quite an impressive building. But I just can't get over all the 'graven images' in the church. There is a section to the side that consists of a few rows of pews for prayer all facing a statue of Mary. I know there are true Christians in the catholic church, but I just can't ignore the blatant error in the whole Mary thing. From a pamphlet they gave me today: "Through Mary we come to Christ and through Christ, to God the Father." Wow.

So the question is, just how much grace does God give to his people? We all sin. I'm sure we all have some belief that we've picked up along the way that is wrong. But if we believe in Christ and, say, we believe the basic Nicene Creed (OMG...there are even many versions of that), if we believe in that, how far off base can we be other places and still walk with Christ? Does God give his grace if we trust in Jesus but pray to Mary occasionally? Are all things truly permissible? I'm not advocating greasy grace (just do anything), but if the person or group doesn't know or hasn't been told, are they under grace until they are shown their error? Let's say a new Christian joins a Catholic church...hasn't read much bible, has no history of Christian influence but heard the gospel and joined a church. The leaders teach their traditions and leads the new believer into praying to Mary. I'm guessing that the sin is on the head of the leader and not the new believer until the Holy Spirit leads them into that particular truth.

Anyway, my question is what do we do when we see error in a church body or other believers? I think we have to listen to the Holy Spirit to find out what to do in the situation. We can't just go to a new believer and point out everything wrong...God will work things in them in due time...plus we probably have a plank in our own eye. But once we get it out, we should help them with their problem if God is leading us. But it should be out of humility, knowing that the only reason we aren't in the same situation is through the grace of God. What happens when we look at each other as just brothers and sisters whose righteousness is only from the grace of God and that God is still working out grace in different areas of our lives? I may see a brother who has a shortcoming in one area that I don't have, but it is only God's grace that I don't, so why should I boast or be proud or think myself more mature or in tune with God? Clearly there are some things that should be nipped in the bud, liken drunkenness or sexual immorality or stealing or whatever. But what about the fruit of the Spirit...something that takes time? What if a brother is lacking in, say, gentleness? We must admonish them in humility, but not in a way that would cause them to stumble. If anything we would say would cause them to stumble, then we should think about whether it should be said or not. We must always keep in mind that God is their father...not us. Only if God is leading us should we say anything.

What should we say to the Catholic church as a whole? Should the entire Protestant World stand up and make a decree that there is one mediator between us and God and it is Jesus Christ and call the Catholic church on the carpet (so to speak)? I guess that's been done before and the whole reason we have Protestant churches. :) Maybe we could nail something to the Vatican door and carbon copy CNN. ;)

Anyway, I'm rambling. If you know me, you know I do that. I'm just putting some questions out there of what God is leading me through at the moment.

So, after visiting the cathedral, I headed back to Shinagawa and ate at TGI Fridays. It was a late lunch/early dinner around 3:30. I had some new Buffalo chicken tacos. Kind of tasty. So from 9:30 to about 3:30, I was on my feet and doing lots of walking. I came back to the hotel and crashed and read for a bit. After that, I decided it was time for laundry, so I packed up all my dirty laundry and headed out for the coin laundry. Sounds like an exciting Friday evening, eh? BTW, the same thing happens in Japan as it does in the US, I had one sock that didn't have its mate. :)

I think I'll mainly rest tomorrow and figure out where to worship on Sunday. Of course, church services in Japan should be in Japanese, so I have to find a transplanted English church to go to. :) I might try one I haven't been to before...we'll see where God leads.

--David

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

It seems to me that the question of correction is really tied to authority. Do you have authority in that situation to bring correction. In the early church this was often done through the apostolic and prophetic offices (however, I would say that apostolic truly had the most authority.) The church today as a whole still hasn't recognized these offices, and perhaps that is why there is so much error in the church.

Interpersonally, I would say that that authority is often earned. Of course there is positional authority that is exercised by a husband, father, pastor, etc., but the people with the strongest authority to bring correction are the ones who have earned the trust and respect of those that they are correcting.

I guess it does all come down to the direction of the Holy Spirit, though!

Jonathan said...

By the way, did you ever go to visit the property that had belonged to the Irish missionary that you told me about?

DavidP said...

Regarding authority. Exactly right Jon. I read a bit of Spiritual Authority by Watchman Nee last month. God clearly set up authority on earth, and we are to obey that authority as that is obeying God. That is something that has been lost somewhat I think. We are so bent on having freedom for ourselves, that we rebel against authority, which is rebelling against God.

One thing God used to help train me on that is the speed limit. Authorities on this earth have set up laws that we should obey, in as much they don't contradict the authority of God. So, God has had me obey the speed limit for a while now. Not to put me under legalism, but I realize that if I am disobedient to the authorities, I am disobedient to God. My heart is set to go just under the limit that has been set. I occasionally go over, but there is grace...my heart is set to do right. Want to see just how much lawlessness is around...set your cruise control to the speed limit and see how many vehicles pass you by. :)

I've also thought about the scripture in Matthew about if a brother sins against you, go to him first, then take a couple of witnesses, then go before the church. That seems to be only related to someone sinning against you only. There is also the scripture in Galatians about if someone is caught in sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently.

So, like you said, authority is often earned. How? By spending time together and seeing God working in others lives and respecting them. Again, we're back to our relationships in the church and how we barely know each other. I know this isn't true for everyone, but I think it is in my life.

Also, there is the authority of offices in the church. Like you said, we don't often recognize them. One interesting thing is that in the bible, the churches were the group of believers in a town. Is that something that should be today? Are we fractured and not joining as a town together? Is God's authority still based on towns and not individual churches? Just some thoughts.

DavidP said...

I did visit the property that Irene Webster-Smith, an Irish missionary to Japan from the 30's to the 60's. It is now Ochanomizu Christian Center, a building with offices for different Christian organizations and a meeting room on the top floor where they hold church services. The groups I wanted to talk to there were out of the office, so I'll try again next week.