Monday, February 16, 2009

First Day

On our first day we walked...and walked...and walked. We went by the National Diet building and found an obscure park. In the park was this:



From what I can find it is called the 'benchmark of Japan' and was used as a datum for measuring sea level and position in Japan. The details are sketchy, but I hope to find out more about it later.

We then walked to the Imperial Palace area.







We then took a train to visit a museum, but it was closed. :( We did find a few interesting statues nearby.







I'm still trying to find out why Tokugawa Ieyasu in the picture above is riding on a turtle. I couldn't find anything about that on the Internet.

That's all for now. I hope to provide more interesting posts later. This morning we are heading to a library to do some reading.

No comments: